Thursday, April 22, 2010

BBQ.. Texas style!


As I write this I actually feel quite ill. Not sure what it is, but today at work my tummy just started clenching up with cramps. Even now i have this woozey weird queasy feeling, so perhaps now is not the best time for this post.. but I'm strong, I'll persevere!

Let me introduce a Texan Specialty. Let me also forewarn that Texas is definitely not for Vegetarians, no matter how many skinny hipster bands are in town!

In Texas BBQ is the go. It's not your average Aussie BBQ - it's way WAY more intense. Only meat lovers need apply! Meat's cooked in Brick pits.. and I think it stays in there for 24 or 48 hours!

I absolutely had to try the BBQ.. and managed to fill myself to the brim and damage my perspective on food a couple of times. It's basically like you sit down, and casually eat a whole animal. ie, a total onslaught of the fattiest variety!

Well, You get the idea....


Irene and I visited Rudy's BBQ - highly reccommended by all Texans/ very busy! It was on a street called Guadalupe near a daytime gig we did at a bikeshop...

The strange, unnerving guy sitting next to us struck up a conversation with us.. upon realising i not only worked in TV, but I worked on a Food Show, attempted to set me up with his management, and see the 'real bbq' behind the scenes. They were so busy that it was an awkward interraction, and they declined! I wonder what goes on in that BBQ pit.

Here we go...
(I can already see the BBQ chub appearing on my cheeks!)


I think Irene's hesitation says it all....

and this is what she ordered!

They were the size of my forearm!

Here we are on our way to BBQ in the centre of town the next day.. optimistic, clearly having forgotten the previous experience... just need to find it first! After waiting around an hour for a table with the post SXSW crowds, we felt that "All you can eat" serve was in order.

And so we ate... and ate... and ate

and ate, and ate...

The damaging effects were almost immediate... here is Hugh's realisation setting in that he had just consumed an entire pig, and probably an entire cow.

Id, somewhat accomplished, but also a moment away from potential vomit disaster...

In Texas, All You can Eat also means All you can Eat leftovers!?

They brought us a whole fresh round, before we screamed "no more!" and they packed it all up to go? I see a potential two dinner scam for clever diners!

A few moments after this photo was taken, Hugh rushed off (at haste) to the toilet.

Good times.

No comments: