Thursday, December 16, 2010

Au revoir to the Regional Recce..

Hello from middle of nowhere, Australia.


I've spent the last four weeks in a row driving back and fourth to Central Victoria and the Murray Region to put together some foodie TV stuff up there. And it's with these trips I bid farewell to the regional recce I've loved so much over the last few years. Not a bad thing, It's definitely time for a change. And these trips have been unusual, to say the least...


Yesterday after hours and hours of driving, I still managed to see very little.
(Having said that, I always love the less is more landscape)


The essentials:
Multiple coffees.
Maps.
Schedules.

& cherries! I need to eat a while kilo whilst i drive. Minimum.

A highlight was this Fruit Orchard outside Shepparton, run by a sweet father and son.
This is actually LAST APRIL'S fruits being processed- yes, it's all true. We eat old fruit (albeit in perfect condition)

I went to a piggery under the impression it was a "Free Range Pork Farm"
hm, being a meat eater, it's hard to know what to say after you see a piggery.
Of course it was clean, well managed etc etc.. but.. it's a piggery. And I'm from the city.
It's a hard one to digest.

This was the nicest part, the letterbox!

Here's a weird one.
I arrived at a lamb farm, to find there was no sheep.
I got a tour and everything- the damn, an empty paddock, some greener than usual grass..
BUT WHERE WERE THE SHEEP!?
We never quite got to the bottom of it.
A lamb farm, apparently.

Kerang, on route to my destination,
& The scene of a fairly average "hamburger with the lot" for a much needed dinner.


Last night I stayed in Koondrook, it was sweet, and what I love so much about the country.


View from my window of the Murray.
Can't believe how much it's been raining up there.. CHECK OUT THE LEVELS!!


From a recent bride, i thought this little chapel was AMAZING. Adorable.

You can't get away from these buggars in your radiator.


Aside from the recces, Last week was also our work party, which is a three day onslaught in Echuca. We do this every year, it's always the same messy spectacular. I always get really drunk. Really, really drunk. And then in the car trip home, with intense hangovers, we all swear and pledge we won't be back.


Night 1. Paddlesteamer on the Murray.
It was pouring, my hair went bananas (sometime after this photo was taken).

Night 2. It's like a reception centre. This year- drag show!

And dancing. Lots of dancing.

My few happy snaps from the night.
Most of my photos are out of focus, too dark, too light.
Proof that I'm due for an upgrade!!

Bye bye to Middle of Nowhere, Australia!
(for the timebeing at least)

No comments: